Frequent Asked Question

What is the NIN? The National Insurance number is a number used in the United Kingdom in the administration of the National Insurance or social security system. It is also used for some purposes in the UK tax system. The number is described by the United Kingdom government as a “personal account number”. You must hold a NIN in order to work in the UK.
How does it work? London Stay UK will book an appointment for you at your local Jobcentre Plus to get your NIN sorted. You will then receive an email with all the information of your appointment: date/ time and address. Please note that you must bring proof of address to this interview, this can be a utility bill or your rent agreement.
During your appointment, you will be asked simple questions, such as: how long have you been in the UK for?; What do you need the NIN for?; are you disabled?; what’s is your current address?; etc.
Once the interview has been completed, you will receive a provisional number that you could use to work whilst you final NIN arrives.
HMRC (Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs is a department of the UK Government responsible for the collection of taxes, the payment of some forms of state support and the administration of other regulatory regimes including the national minimum wage) will send you a letter with your new NIN, you’ll have to keep this letter safe and provide the company you are working for with your NIN.

How does it work? Nowadays, British Banks request that you present a proof of address and your final NIN to open a bank account with them. Your final NIN will take approximately 4 weeks to arrive since the day of your appointment. To solve this issue, London Stay UK started to work with several online Banks that allow you to have a bank card, such as MasterCard or a Visa. With this bank card you will be able to make and receive bank transfers, make payments and withdraw money from any cash point. Once you receive your final NIN you could open up a common current account with the bank of your choice, if you need further assistance with this, our crew is always standing by.

How to choose the best Bank? Fortunately, all Banks in the UK offer the possibility to open up free bank accounts with them, therefore it doesn’t really matter the bank you choose. There are many Banks in London and most of them are open at the weekends as well.

Working in London

In the UK, the employer has the right by law, to establish a ‘verbal contract’ with the employee, which will only be valid for the following two months. Once this period of time passes, the employer must present the employee with a written contract. This can be:
• Temporary: for a specific period of time.
• Permanent: for an unlimited period of time.
• Hour contract: specific days/ hours.

Work contracts can be full or part-time. By law, all temporary contracts must become permanent after the first year of work. Quite often, new employees need to complete a “Probationary Period”. Normally, probationary periods last for about three months. During this time, the employer or the employee can bring the contract to an end without prior notice. This very rarely happens. You will receive your wage as normal, regardless of being on a probationary period.

In order to check that you have been registered as a ‘worker’, you must receive your ‘payslip’ from your employer when you earn your first wage, you could receive it on an email or a letter. This document is even more important than your work contract. You can find very important information on this document, such as: hours worked/ paid, how much tax you have paid and your Brut/ Net salary.

By law, you should work a maximum of 48 hours a week. However, it is possible to work more hours by signing an extension agreement, although this is not compulsory.